So this was a project in the works that I wasn't necessarily planning to finish this weekend, but I saw that Tiddly Inks Challenge Blog's challenge was Let's Go Gothic. And since I was already using 4 of the Tiddly Inks's Gothic characters, I figured I would finish this project and post it over there.
This is going to sound like a random tangent, but I have point, so stay with me. I have horrible allergies. Due in part to living in Florida and probably in larger part to the fact that I have 2 dogs and 2 cars and I'm allergic to both. So I go through a fair amount of tissues. And I dutifully recycle the boxes. But about two months ago, I was looking at another empty squarish tissue box, and I thought, I'm sure I can come up with something crafty to do with that. And thus today's project was born. Actually, this is the second box I started on. The first one is still not done. It is going to be a paint brush holder.
Today's project is a piggy bank. I wanted somewhere I could put my spare change. And store bought piggy backs are a hassle to get the money out of. But a tissue box is designed so you can reach in and get the last tissue. So I figured I just needed to pretty it up. Here's the before picture.
I'll start with Precious, since I colored her first.
You will notice that I did not get creative with the shading of her skirts. As I mentioned a few posts ago, I can never figure out where the shadows and highlights go. Although, I am happy with how her hair came out. This is one of my favorite color combos. I know it isn't very gothic but since this is for me, I went with what I like. For the background, I tried to create a peachy base with my Brushos but it didn't work. So I pulled out Distress Ink in Dried Marigold and colored the base. Then I dropped a few crystals of turquoise Brushos. I used mod podge to attach the base and then to attach the image, with a coat over top to protect it. I was happy that the mod podge didn't smear the Brushos or the printer ink. I've used it over images stamped and colored with Copics before, but this was a first time with a digi image.
Next is Owlette.
For her, I used one of the sample cards on the Tiddly Inks website for an assist with the shading of the skirt. And at first, I didn't think it had blended well enough and I wasn't all that happy with it, but when I came back to it a few days later, I was pleased with how it came out. Background was created with Brushos in Ost. Blue, Ultra Marine and Cobalt Blue.
I did a Google search to ideas for coloring her skirts. And I forgot to keep track of what image I used as the inspiration. Although, none of the images I found had black hair and she was just begging for black hair. So I went with the black, and I don't love her hair. Her background was Turquoise (?), Violet and Purple. I did figure out that Purple has more red tones in it and the Violet is more blue. So I won't be using the Purple with the blues again.
I could not find an image for an assist with coloring her skirts, so I tried it on my own. And I'm feeling underwhelmed. As soon as I got done with her, I realized that the highlight should have been where I put the shadow. To create the pink background, I used Ost. Red and White. Then after that dried, I added a few crystals of Leaf Green.
I was just looking at he and realized she is crooked. Oh well.
Here's the top.
All the faces - E000 & E00
Dress - YR00, YR01, YR02, BG10, BG13, BG15, BG18
Umbrella - V12, V17, C-7, C-3
Hair - E00, E08, E09
Dress - B14, B16, B18, B39, BG000 (meant to grab B000), B32, B34, B37
Owl - E21, E23, E27, Y38
Hair - Y11, Y15, Y17
Feather - V05
Dress - v12, V15, V17, BG000, BG01, BG05, BG09
Hair - C-0, C-1, C-3, C-7, C-10, 100 (Yep I used all the cool greys I have)
Dress - RV000, RV02, RV04, RV06. YG06, YG09
Hair - E21, E23, E27, E29
As I said, I'm going to enter this over at the Tiddly Inks Challenge Blog - Challenge 160 Let's Get Gothic
Thanks for stopping by and please come again.