As promised, here is the second Z-fold card I made. And this was one of those ideas that sounded really good in my head and then about 1/3 of the way through, I realized that it was actually insane. I think I spent about 10 + hours making this card. And I'm not sure if I'm going to give it away or keep it for myself. I'm just not sure I like anyone I like enough to give this too. :-) I'm either going to put it out with my Christmas decorations or maybe add some squirrels and give it to my mom since she puts all the cards I've made for her over the years out with her Christmas decorations.
I started by drawing a triangle on each section to create a base shape for the tree. Since I improvised on the z-fold cut to make my tree base and insure that the whole tree lines up when the card is folded, I've included at the bottom of the posts photos and an explanation of how I did it.
Since I was going to use die cut pine needles to create the tree, I knew there would be gaps. So I used painter's tape to mark off the partial triangle on the front section and inked it with Distress Ink in Mowed Lawn and, what else, Pine Needles. I wished I had taken some pics while I was doing this.
I die cut the pine needles from snippets of watercolor cardstock. It is an Impression Obsession die. Then I colored them with Distress Ink in Mowed Lawn and Pine Needles. I know it would have been faster to color the paper first and die cut second but then the sides would still be white, which would have bugged me. I have slight crafting OCD tendencies. Then began the epic assembly process by attaching each one individually. Here's a pic of what the individual pine needles look like, with a dime for some perspective on the size. For non-Americans, a dime is about 1.8cm in diameter.
Here's the middle section, with the front folded back, so you see the middle section and the bottom section. There are 54 pine needle branches on the middle section.
Here it is with the whole card unfolded. This is the back of the card. For the sentiment, I die cut the red and white cardstock with Spellbinders' nesties. It is one of the label sets but I forget which one. The sentiment is by Impression Obsession. I stamped with ColorBox Pigment ink in Evergreen and since it usually takes forever to dry, I heat embossed it with clear embossing powder. I realized when I went to attach it that it was a little to big for the section, so I had to attach it at a wonky angle to fit. I added a couple of gems. I think that was because I smudged some ink on the white cardstock.
The ornaments are My Favorite Thing stamps. I used the pieces of cardstock cut off from the card base for stamping them. The first batch I stamped with Versafine. Since I didn't stamp nearly enough the first time, I stamped the second batch with Versafine and embossed with clear embossing powder, because after I colored the first batch, the lines on some of the ornaments didn't show up as well. On some of them I embossed a snowflake with clear embossing powder. It was part of a three snowflake stamp also by My Favorite Things that I did surgery on. I colored them all with metallic water colors, added glossy accents, cut each out and attached with rolled pieces of scor-tape. I also added sequins with a dot of Stickles in the middle and gems for sparkle. This close-up (of the bottom section) shows the ornaments better.
In this close-up of the front section, you can see that I got better at attaching the tree skirt as I went along. The presents were a strategic choice to hide the worst of the lumps.
1) You are going to measure up 3 inches (7.6 cm) on one side and draw a diagonal line to the opposite corner. That is your usual cut line for a z-fold line.
2) Flip the paper over and draw the diagonal line again, making sure you measure up the 3 inches on the same side that you did on the front. This will give you a guide line for the middle section, which when the card is folded is actually the back of the piece of paper.
5) Now, on the front panel, find the center point of the top and draw a triangle with a ruler. I also added the trunk and line for the tree skirt. The diagonal line is the cut line. The straight line is showing that it is 4 inches wide.