There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Vellum Circles (Projects 2 and 3)


I'm back with my next 2 projects. And clearly the shopping moratorium is working with regard to posting.  This makes 2 posts less than a week apart.  A first for me.  Course part of me wished I waited until after the Labor Day Sales to impose the moratorium. Oh well.
 
This first piece I created for a challenge on the new message board I'm hanging out on. The challenge was to use vellum on a card. One of the big challenges with using vellum is how to attach it without the adhesive showing. The sample the challenge host posted had a die cut vellum circle layered on a piece of colored cardstock cut with the same die (check out Stampwilly's awesome blog: Stampwilly Designs). That got me thinking of my Spellbinders lacey circle die. You can lace ribbon though the cut outs for a really cool effect. And thus was born the idea for this card.



I started with a piece of glossy cardstock that I had colored with alcohol inks like I did for Acornia (for list of colors see the bottom of this post). I die cut the circle out of the middle. Then I die cut a piece of vellum with the same die. I stamped leaves in Stazon black on the colored piece. The stamps are by Scrappy Cat and Inkadinkado. I forgot to take a picture before assembling. You can kinda see the leaves in this close-up and how the ribbon is threaded.
 
 


I stamped the sentiment by Inkadinkado with Versamark and embossed with gold embossing powder. It seemed fitting given the sentiment. I layered the vellum on top of the colored piece and then threaded the ribbon through the dies, leaving enough for make a bow at the end. It needed one more thing, so I used my silhouette to cut a leaf charm from shrinky dink material. I colored it with colored pencils. I had a little trouble with the stem when I shrunk it. I used some brown twine to attach it to the bow. Finally, I used foam squares to attach the circle to a plain green base.



Since I cut the glossy cardstock a bit bigger that absolutely necessary for the die, I was left with a square piece with a scalloped circle cut out of it. So I figured I would use that to frame an image and create another card.
 
 
The image is by Technique Tuesday. It is one of those sets that has the tree and different leaves for the branches and other stuff to go with the tree, including the ground. I have another set like this, but this was the first time I've used this set.

Before I stamped the tree, I lined up the alcohol ink colored piece and lightly traced the scallop circle onto the cream cardstock.  That way I could be sure the tree was mostly centered in the circle and nothing would be cut off when I attached the alcohol ink colored piece.  

I stamped it with Stazon in brown (I think) but it might have been Memento Rich Coco. Either way the pad needs some reinker. I then water colored the ground and leaves with Distress Inks (for list of colors see the bottom of this post). I also inked the edge where it would show through the circle because it was just too much cream cardstock showing.
Here's a close-up of the tree:
 
 


 

Since the alcohol ink colored piece was too short to just be the whole front of the card, I pulled out an EK Success punch and punched some scrap pieces of paper and inked them with Distress Ink Wild Honey.  Here's another close-up:
 
 
 

 
Alcohol inks: Butterscotch
                         Sunset Orange
                         Currant
                         Peach Bellini
                         Red Pepper
                         Sunshine Yellow
Distress Inks:
       Tree leaves: Dried Marigold
                              Mustard Seed w/ Peeled Paint on top
                              Spiced Marmalade
                              Barn Door
                              Fired Brick
 
       Grass:           Peeled Paint
                              Forest Moss
Thanks for looking and please come back again.

 
 


Monday, August 25, 2014

Shopping Moratorium and Project 1 - Drac

I have too much crafting stuff and I'm a shopaholic. So I'm taking inspiration for an on-line crafting buddy, scrappymo (check out her blog: Scraps of Life by Scrappymo), and imposing a shopping moratorium until I finish and post on my blog 50 projects. Getting the projects completed shouldn't take too long. In fact, I just finished 40 different card designs for donating to Operation Write Home. I just seem to have difficulty posting regularly. So I hoping this moratorium will help me to post more often and to use some of my neglected stuff. Now there are 3 exceptions: 1) if I run out of white card stock, I can restock because it is hard to make cards if I don't have cardstock; 2) if I run out of adhesive, I can restock for the same reason; and 3) I'm not canceling my ribbon of the month club with Really ReasonableRibbon.
 
 
So here's my first project. I participated in a kit-in-an-envelope swap and this is one of my projects from my kept kit. If you aren't familiar with a KIAE swap, you create two identical kits, one you keep and one you swap. Then you have to make a project with items in your kept kit and in the kit you receive from your swap partner.
 


Drac and the skulls are by Recollections. They are part of set that was RAKed to me last years.   I colored him with Copics. I added Stickles to three of the corners.  The pattern paper is by Doodlebug Design.
 
 
I covered the skulls with glossy accents before fussy cutting them out.
 


The bat was created with air dry clay and a Martha Stewart mold. I used Distress Ink in Dusty Concord and Black Soot to color the bat.

Copic marker list:
Outside of Cape – BV23, BV25 and BV29
Inside of Cape – V12, V15 and V17
Pants - BV23, BV25 and BV29
Vest – YR04 and YR07
Shoes – Yr04 and YG03
Skull – W-0
Hair – C-7 and 100

Thanks for stopping by and please come again.