Saturday, January 21, 2017

Mixed Media Train Canvas

This is only of those projects I’ve been meaning to post for a while.  I made it as an Easter gift for my father back in 2015.   I’m using it as a sample for a challenge I’m hosting over at Artsy Inkers.  Today is the start of Winter Fest on the message board.   If you’ve never checked out Artsy Inkers, now is a great time to do so.

Ok, so on to the project.  I started by tinting some light weight spackle with paint and added a little water to make it easier to spread and I covered the canvas with it.  I believe it is a 6x6 canvas.

The color was a little off, so inked it with Distress Ink in Spiced Marmalade and Tea Dye, I think.  It might have been vintage photo. 

Then I stamped a bunch of images from Stampendous’ clear stamp set Railway on tissue paper with Stazon brown.  I then used mod podge to attach the images to the canvas.  I got this idea from Anna Karin.  It is a great way to get clean images onto a canvas, because the tissue paper disappears.  Mostly.  You can see in the picture some white spots. I didn’t use enough mod podge.  So a couple of tips: trim as much of the excess tissue paper off, use plenty of mod podge, and make sure the tissue paper isn’t coated (I’ve got another project that I have to redo because I used the wrong tissue paper and it didn’t disappear).  It isn't as noticeable in real life as it is in the photos.

The oval is part of the Stampendous train postcard stamp. There’s more to the image than the oval and there is actually holly on the corner of the oval because it’s a Christmas stamp.  I think I stamped it on tissue paper, originally planning to mod podged it onto the canvas.  But I realized it wouldn’t work and mod podged it onto a piece of comic book board and cut out the oval part.  I added some liquid pearls around the edge of the oval.

I made the ticket to cover the holly on the train image.  I inked the paper with Distress Ink in Mustard Seed and Tea Dye.  The image is from the same Railway set.

The embellishment is a flattened bottle cap.  To cover the logo, I die cut a piece of metallic paper that I had inked with alcohol inks.  I stamped the lantern image from the Railway set on it but you can’t really see it all that well.  The same image is on the canvas just below it. 

Here's a closer look at the finished canvas.

Thanks for stopping by and please come again.