There was an error in this gadget

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Winterfest Part 2 (Projects 11-14)

Here is the next of the new techniques I picked up during Winterfest - faux patina.  To make things simple, I copied the directions posted by Heidi.  You should check out her blog.
Here's what you do:
1) Emboss your piece of cardstock with any embossing folder you wish.
2) Sponge on at least 2 different ink colors, starting from light and going to dark.  At this point, you will probably want to set the piece aside to dry completely, or dry with a heat gun.
3) Lightly press the Versamark ink pad on the panel, mostly focusing on the embossed (raised) portions.  Add your metallic embossing powder.  You may want to brush away embossing powder if you want there to be less metallic portions. 
4) Heat emboss the panel. 


Here is the first project I made.  I used DI in Tumbled Glass, Faded Jeans and Chipped Sapphire. The embossing folder is by Darice. When I added the silver embossing powdered, the whole piece was covered and I had to go back and brush it off or I would have had a solid silver piece.
 
 I combined this piece with another challenge to create a birthday card for my dad.  For the second challenge, you were supposed to create a piece that was your impression of a photo posted by the challenge host.  The photo was of a train crossing a tranquil lake on an arch bridge with snow covered trees in the background.


When I saw the picture, I knew I wanted to use this train stamp by Stampendous. It is actually a Christmas postcard stamp. But I knew it would be perfect because the train is in an oval, and the arch of the bridge in the picture with it's reflection created an oval. So I wanted to use an oval on the card. I used the bottle cap embellishment to cover the bit of holly from the stamp that overlapped the oval. The stamped sentiment actually has a flower at the center but since this is going to be a birthday card for my dad, I covered it with a button. I covered the sentiment with glossy accents and used that to attach the button. I colored the twine with silver ink.

For the second piece, I used DI in Shaded Lilac and Dusty Concord. The embossing folder is by Darice and I used a metallic green embossing powder, which you can't really tell from this photo. This was the third Darice folder I used, and I used my brayer to added the Versamark because,  the Darice folders don't emboss very deeply and swiping the pad on the piece got too much ink on the piece.


You can see the green embossing powder better in this picture. The butterfly is by Inkadinakdo and the sentiment is by Stampendous.


For the third piece, I used Distress Ink in Barn Door, Spiced Marmalde, and Mustard Seed. The embossing folder is by Cuttlebug. I used a bronze embossing powder. 


The stamps are by Stampendous. I colored the shoe with metallic watercolor paints. I added copper embossing powder to the edge of the circle.  I originally fussy cut the shoe and was going to add it like that but it kinda blended into the background.  So I stamped the square with the little gears to help it stand out.
 
I created two more backgrounds with this technique, but I haven't turned them into cards yet.


For the first one, I colored the base with Distress Inks in Tumbled Glass and Salty Ocean. The embossing folder is by Darice. I used a metallic blue embossing powder.


I'm really not sure what I'm going to do with it.  I may just add a sentiment and leave it mostly as is.

For the last one, I used Distress Inks in Chipped Sapphire, Faded Jeans and Tumbled Glass for the base. The embossing folder is by Darice. This is another one that I had to clean off some of the powder before heating. I used a silver embossing powder.


This one is eventually going to be a Christmas card.

I'm going to share one more technique I picked up during Winterfest.  For this technique, you take a background created using alcohol inks, embossing it with an embossing folder and the brayer white paint over the piece.


I created the base with alcohol inks in Purple Twilight, Eggplant, and Cool Peri, and I added some Silver Mixative. I embossed with a Cuttlebug embossing folder. I had a bit of a problem when I added the white paint. I got too much on it and so I wiped off all the paint and did it again. But when I did that, I removed the glossy finish on the cardstock.

The image is by Inkadinkado. I stamped it with Dusty Concord Distress Ink. Then I rubbed some silver Gelato over it. I fussy cut the bird. But I didn't like how it looked, so I mounted it on silver cardstock. I used a Fiskar corner punch on the corners.

 The flowers were created with air dry clay and colored with Distress Ink in Dusty Concord and Shaded Lilac. I added some Wink of Stella to add some sparkle.
 
Thanks for stopping by and please come again.




 





No comments:

Post a Comment