There was an error in this gadget

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Winterfest Part 1 (Projects 8-10)


In my last post, I mentioned that Artsy Inkers was gearing up for a stamping party.  But alas, if you did not sign up, you missed out on Winterfest 2015.  Even though there isn’t a party currently going on, you can still join the message board and participate in challenges and stamp related discussions.  And then you will already be a member when our next party comes along (tentatively scheduled for the beginning of June).

I had a blast during Winterfest and learned 5 new techniques.  Well, technically, they are new to me techniques.  So for the next couple of blog posts, I will share what I learned and the projects I created with the new techniques.

So the first one is watercolor dry embossing.  There is a step-by-step tutorial on splitcoast stampers.   But here is the gist.  Emboss a piece of watercolor paper with an embossing folder, preferably one with a lot of debossed space.  Use a brayer to apply Versamark to the raised portions and heat emboss with clear embossing powder.  Now you are set to watercolor.
Here is the first background I created. I used an embossing folder by Darice and colored the image with Distress Inks in Spun Sugar, Dried Marigold, Picked Raspberry, Squeezed Lemonade and Ripe Persimmon.
 
 
To make the finished card, I trimmed the piece down and mounted on green cardstock.  The ribbon was originally cream but I dyed it with Shabby Shutters.  The flower was created for another challenge.  For that challenge, we had to create a flower using three layers of punched pieces, but the punch did not have to be a flower punch.  I used a butterfly punch.  I punched a dozen butterflies and colored them with Distress Ink with Picked Raspberries, Squeezed Lemonade, and Ripe Persimmon. I used a 3D glue dot to create the flower. I colored a pearl with a Copic marker for the center.   That is my money saving tip – don’t buy pearls and gems in a bunch of colors, just buy white and clear and color them with a permanent marker.  I have a set of Bic markers for color gems and Copics work too.  On the little tag, I used a sentiment stamp by Inkadinkado and a butterfly by EK Success.
 
 
 
For the next one, I used a background embossing folder by Cuttlebug. I colored it with DI in Spiced Marmalade, Barn Door, Fired Brick and Mustard Seed (another favorite color combo). The tree stamp is by Recollection. The shadow effect on the tree was a happy accident - the middle of the tree didn't stamp so I restamped but didn't have it lined up quite right. The flowers are a Cheery Lynn die and colored with DI. The ribbon is seam binding that I dyed with DI. And of course, the pearls were colored with Bic markers.  I forgot to take a picture of the background before I finished the card.    


For the final piece, I used an embossing folder by Darice. I colored the birds with Distress Ink in Tumbled Glass, Salty Ocean, Peacock Feather, Dusty Concord and Shaded Lilac. I used Shabby Shutters for the background. To finish the card off, I added the branch and bird made from air dry clay and a cake decorating mold.   Don’t worry, I bought the mold for using with air dry clay and it will not be used in the kitchen.  I colored them with Distress Ink in Peacock Feather, Shaded Lilac, Mustard Seed, Black Soot and Vintage Photo.  Again, I forgot to take a picture of the background before finishing the card.
 

Thanks for stopping by and please come again.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Your backgrounds turned out so well. Now that we have this technique under our belts, I think I look at embossing folders in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool...will have to give this a try too.

    ReplyDelete