Friday, May 2, 2014

Brides and Babies

I'm a bit overdue in posting a new project.  The month of April just got away from me.  So I've got 2 cards for you this time.  I needed to make a wedding card for a co-worker and a baby shower card for a family friend.
 
For the wedding card, I took inspiration from the bride's struggle to find the right table linens.  She had seen a photo of a table setting that she really liked but she was having trouble finding the right linens.  The goal was champagne linens with a sheer overlay with a champagne/ pale gold swirl.  And it took her forever to fine what she was looking for.  So I used that for the background.


For the base, I stamped the swirls in Brilliance Galaxy Gold on a pale yellowy cream.  (I need to pick up some more cream cardstock).  To mute the effect, I topped it with vellum.  I used glue in the corners to attach the vellum and then used the pearls to cover the glue spots.
 
The focal image was stamped in Versafine Onyx Black on the same pale yellowy cream cardstock.  I didn't plan to cover it with vellum but the cardstock was too bright without it.  So I again glued the corners.  I covered the bottom corners with Liquid Pearls and the top with the bow.  I mounted it on a shimmery yellow cardstock.  When that blended to much into the background, I mounted it on a darker shimmery yellow/gold cardstock.
 
The bow is a double bow that I created with my new Zutter Bow-It-All, which is awesome.  I have always had trouble making pretty bows.  I've got  a Bow Easy, which is great if you are using very thin ribbon, but not so great with wider ribbons.  I had been seeing bows made with the Bow-It-All and a few weeks ago, a broke down and bought one from Amazon.  I am mostly glad I did.  My only hesitation in saying I'm thrilled with it is that Zutter just came out with a new one that will make triple bows.  Dang it.  If I had known, I probably would have waited until the new one came out.  Oh well.  I am thrilled with the bows I'm creating with it.  Here's a close up of the bow:




For the baby card, the friend is having a little girl and the theme is elephants.  So I kept the card fairly simple. 


I stamped the elephant in grey and colored with Copics.  Then I went back and added white polka dots.  I used the scallop blade for my paper trimmer to cut the mat.  I made the bow with my Bow-It-All and the ribbon is from Really Reasonable Ribbon's April Ribbon Club.  If you are a ribbon junky, like me, you need to check out Really Reasonable Ribbon.  Or maybe you shouldn't. :-)  In addition to buying a bunch of ribbon from there recently, I joined the monthly ribbon club.  Each month I will be getting a new collection of 7-9 ribbons (around 15 yards of ribbon). April's was grey and yellow.  And I should be getting May's soon, which is blue and red. 

Stamps Used:
Swirl - Hero Arts
Bride & Groom - Fiskar
Elephant  - Fiskar

Thanks so much for stopping by and come back soon.

2 comments:

  1. Your bow is perfect on that baby card. I may have to look up your tool. Very pretty wedding card! That is nice that you made is so personal to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sarah...two lovely cards. And you are so right...that bow maker you used makes gorgeous bows!
    The wedding card is very elegant and so cool that you sere able to match the linens theme...even down to the swirls!

    The baby card is adorable!

    ReplyDelete