Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Bunny Trouble


Every have one of those projects that does not want to cooperate with what you have planned. And you are left with a choice of either forcing it to get with your plan or letting go of the plan and listening to what the project want to do. Well this was one of those projects. That cute little bunny did not like my plan. The planned card would have had the bunny on a cut out label shape with Fran-tage embossing powder and color fragments around the edges. As you can see, that is not what happened.


I started out by opening the bunny digi stamp (by a Day for Daisies) in my Silhouette Studio, resizing it, opening the label cut file, sizing it around the bunny, printing the bunny with registration marks, and then attempting to cut it out. The first time, I loaded the cutting mat wrong and the cut went through the middle of the bunny.
 
Attempt number two was successful. So I colored the bunny with colored pencils and blended them with baby oil. I then inked the edges of the label with Versamark ink and added the embossing powders and color fragments. Because the fragments don't stick to the piece, you have to heat it from underneath. Here's where it went horribly wrong. I scorched the paper in two places. So I set bunny aside and stated working on the background.
 
For the background, I decided to do an embossed resist technique. I started by stamping the Inkadinkado swirls with Versamark and embossed with clear embossing powder. You can kinda see the pattern I created on the paper.


I then added Distress Ink in milled lavender and tumbled sage. I thought the lavender was a little to pink, so went back and added some watered down dusty concord. Here's the final result.
 

 
Once I got done with the background, I went back to the bunny. I had two choices: start over or fussy cut the bunny out. I really liked how the coloring came out. So I decided to fussy cut the bunny. I used foam squares to attach him to the base. It still needed something. This weekend, I had made some flowers, leaves and butterflies using Martha Stewart molds and air dry clay. So I pulled out a couple of flowers and leaves and painted them with acrylic paints. Then I brushed on some Twinkle H2O paint to add a little sparkle. I used glue dots to add them to the corners, and viola, the bunny card was finished.
Here's a close up of the flower:

 
Thanks for stopping by and checking out my troublesome bunny.  Have a great day.

Challenges entered:
Crazy4Challenges - Number 228 Shake Your Thing
Emergency Crafters - Flowers
A Day for Daisies - Challenge 92 - Pretty Pastels

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah, I think I forgot to mention how much I like your blog header with the sewing tools (and retro glasses which I used to wear just like this!) on your card. Loved reading the trials involved in creating your pretty bunny card. I have a silhouette, (dusty - just like my cricut) and wouldn't begin to know how to do what you did with the digi. Your card turned out beautifully, love these colors. And your embellies are wonderful. Have not ventured into this MS craft type as yet. These were perfect for your colors on this sweet little card. Also have frontage but not attempted it as yet. Great inspiration to brave me up! TFS & Happy wkend. I hear Fla. has the same drizzle that Upstate SC does today. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes...I have been their too! In spite of the best laid plans and intentions, that is a possibility. Like you, I just throw plans to the side and make do with a newly created, on the spot plan...or even just stumble through with whatever ideas pop in my head. lol

    Your card is a sweetie. I have not made any Easter cards yet! I had better get my mojo working. Perhaps I shall try an inky background too!
    Sweet little bunny and beautiful background.
    So glad to see Mary H found you. She is such a talented cardmaker. The stamping forum would be a great fit for her...we shall have to work on bringing her there for visits!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT save Sarah and a beautiful card as a result. Isn't the MS clay fun? I've tried mixing a little bit of coloured paper clay in with white but you need the teeeeeniest bit. This week I just used plain white and H2O's and do prefer the results - great minds and all that.

    Just going to add myself as a follower and please feel free to come and play in the Snippets Playground, both Mary and Mo play there regularly and it's good fun. No really strict rules other than to use up a sniippet (or more) on whatever you bring to show. It can be paper, card, lace, ribbon etc. just so long as it's a leftover scrap/snippet.

    Hope to see you some time!

    Hugs

    Di
    xx

    ReplyDelete